The design and construction by the Launceston and District MRC of a 4mm scale model railway based on the Marland works of the North Devon Clay company at Peters Marland.

The Torrington and Marland light railway was a 3 foot gauge railway from Great Torrington to the Marland Brick & Clay Company’s works at Peters Marland in a remote area of Southwest England. It was known by a number of names including the “Claymoor Railway”

In 1925 a standard gauge line was extended south from Torrington to connect with the rest of the Southern network at Halwill Junction. This new line ran along part of the line of the of the Torrington and Marland railway which became limited to the brick works and lines serving the clay pits. An interchange was built at Marland to facilitate transfer of the clay to standard gauge wagons for distribution around the country and abroad. A lot of the clay was exported by ship from Fremington on the river Taw near Barnstaple.

The Marland Brick works produced large quantities of bricks and land drain pipes. The works closed in 1942 and was destroyed by fire in 1944. The North Devon Clay company continued to produce ball clay and the railway lasted into the 1970’s. Clay is still produced to this day but all goes by road now!

This layout is an amalgam of the old brick works and the interchange for exporting the ball clay. Part of the standard gauge line runs along the back with a connection to the works and features the narrow gauge lines and the interchange shed. It is modelled to 4mm scale with OO gauge on the branch and OOn3 on the 12mm gauge works railway. The period is set around nationalisation of the railways in 1948.